Wednesday, March 22, 2017

I Wrote a Sonnet?

At one point I vowed I would never write poetry...but one of my recent English assignments was to write a sonnet. It was optional,  but I decided to do it! (Just to fill out my writer's repertoire, of course). So here it is!

 First and Last Sonnet
by Naomi Jewell


If poetry perplexes readers now,
In times of old it must have been the same.
For never have our poet friends allowed
Adjustment since we cannot know their brains. 
Imagine Shakespear handing out a rhyme
The ink with sharpened quill is freshly writ
And though his scribblings no one can divine
They all agree to tell him he has wit!
Decoding poet's stanzas takes much time
We're told they write in English but they don't 
Their words were meant to be a sweet as wine
But by mistake the meaning has been cloaked. 
Yet once the veil of puzzle has been torn,
A lovely word can lift a heart forlorn.

 Ok, I've got to admit: this may not be the last sonnet I write. I actually had a lot of fun with this!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! That's exactly how I feel about poetry... it's often not worth the effort it takes to decide what it's supposed to say! ��

    ReplyDelete